Pages

Friday, September 29, 2017

New Orleans: Day 1

When we told several people that we would be visiting New Orleans in August everyone said that we chose the worst month to visit as it was the hottest month of the year. Well, they were right. It was hot, humid and rainy and despite that I still loved every moment of our time in New Orleans.

When we reached our hotel we were a little disappointed to find that our room was not ready but the front desk called concierge to take our luggage while we waited. If anything, the lobby was such eye candy so I didn't mind waiting and immediately dug my camera out of my bag and began to take pictures. We stayed at Bourbon Orleans Hotel in the French Quarter.

IMG_7519 IMG_7524

IMG_7525

IMG_7523 IMG_7527

When we realized our wait would be more than 15 minutes, we decided to walk outside just to explore for a little while. I made the mistake of not changing into appropriate weather attire because man, it was hot and I became a sweaty mess quite quickly.

IMG_7531

IMG_7534 IMG_7535

IMG_7536

I just loved all the colors and buildings in New Orleans.
I just felt so inspired as I walked around and took in the beauty of this city.

IMG_7545

IMG_7551 IMG_7560

IMG_7598

IMG_7599

IMG_7601

And although I was a sweaty mess, we continued to walk around and it was at this time that it dawned on us that it seemed like everyone was wearing a red dress. Even guys were wearing red dresses. We stopped a stranger wearing red and asked what was going on and was advised that they were doing the Red Dress Run for women’s heart health. We thanked them for the information and soon became quite amused. Although, there were some people who took it seriously and were actually running, we saw many who were just there for the booze and social aspect of it. No judgment here but it seriously was like St. Patricks Day with no green. It looked like a great time and for a second Sean and I contemplated getting red dresses to join in on the fun but we changed our minds as quickly as the thought came to us.

IMG_7542

IMG_7543 IMG_7559

IMG_7540

IMG_7546 IMG_7547

Sean became hungry so we stopped at Tableau for lunch and we watched the red dresses have a grand time from the restaurant's balcony. We were also serenaded by a three person band which was pretty amazing.

IMG_7562

IMG_7572

IMG_7567 IMG_7569

IMG_7576

We then took an UBER to Villalobos rescue center as we both enjoy watching 'Pitbulls & Parolees' especially since we have two pits that we love so much. I have a feeling that Sean was expecting to fall in love and make arrangements to take another dog home. Unfortunately, a week or so before we arrived, parts of NOLA had extreme flooding and due to this they could not have anyone visit the facility. Good for me that we could not visit the facility because I probably would have fallen in love too and not be able to say no to Sean; which has been my experience our last two times we brought dogs home.

IMG_7592

When we went back to our hotel we were hoping that our room would be ready but it was not. The front desk asked us if we wanted to check out the pool while we waited. We thought this was a pretty good idea so we changed into our swimming attire in a bathroom and off to the pool we went. We ordered some drinks, found some chairs and into the pool we went to cool down.

IMG_7618 IMG_7612

About an hour later we were told our room was ready and for the delay we were given a complimentary bottle of champagne. We were given a wheelchair accessible room which we had not booked but because we just wanted to drop off our stuff and get our vacation on we decided that we'd switch rooms the following day.

IMG_7624

IMG_7625

Imagine my surprise when Sean turned on the TV and the first thing it said was, "If you have a ghost sighting, please let us know at the front desk". Um, what? I look over at Sean and he had this mischievous look on his face and he said, "Yeah, they say this hotel is haunted." Sean is all into hauntings, ghosts stuff and me, not so much. Not even a little bit. I freaked out a bit and then just let it go. Lucky for me (probably not for Sean) there were no ghost sightings and we had a really good stay!

Our first evening, we did a pub crawl and went to three pubs. Sneaky Petes, Saints & Sinners & Bourbon Heat. We had such a good time! Sean rode a bull and I tell you it was the funniest thing I've ever seen. I laughed harder than I think I ever have. The red dresses were still out in full force and by this time they had made quite the mess on the streets.

thumbnail_IMG_4291

We ended the night with some greasy pizza and chicken tenders from Dante's Pizza and I'll say it was a pretty good first day and I could not wait to wake up the following day to see more of NOLA.

4 comments:

  1. NOLA is on our list of places to go. The previous post on the food made me hungry and ready to pack my bags. These pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hotel is BEAUTIFUL !!! Seriously the interiors of New Orleans look amazing (heck even the exteriors too!) . The Red Dress Run seems... different, but I'm glad it's benefiting something good. LOL @ the ghost sighting, I'm not about that life either. I'd probably just start rebuking everything and doing an exorcism on the room. I'm cray cray. .... anyhoodle, the pictures are beautiful and you look amazing in red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hotel is GORGEOUS!!!
    And, I'm slightly bummed you didn't spot any ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful first day there. I would have loved to see you both in red dresses. Lol.
    I do love the red top you wore.
    Sorry it took so long for your room. I hate that because most folks are tired after traveling and just want to unwind. You did make lemonades out of it though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!